Everyone knows that saving energy is smart. Now BGE makes it easy. Signing up for the PeakRewardsSM Air Conditioning program can help you save money, reduce energy demand and protect the environment. By joining the PeakRewards Air Conditioning program, you can earn between $100 and $200 in bill credits each cycling season (June through September). With PeakRewards, saving energy and money is not only smart, it’s easy.
How does it work?
When you enroll in the PeakRewards program, you agree to help ease high electricity demand by allowing BGE to “cycle” your air conditioning on and off with a professionally installed programmable thermostat or outdoor switch. Cycling typically occurs during the summer months, if there is a significant increase in peak energy demand between June 1 and September 30, your PeakRewards device will receive a signal to cycle your air conditioning. Cycling helps maintain reliable service while keeping down the cost of electricity for everyone.
- What are non-emergency cycling events?
- BGE may activate its PeakRewards program when the wholesale price of electricity is very high or to assist with localized system reliability. Activating the PeakRewards program during these non-emergency events can put downward pressure on energy prices and may increase the reliability of the distribution system. For non-emergency events, cycling for all participants will be up to 50%. You may choose to override participation during this type of event up to two times per summer.
- What are emergency cycling events?
- During an emergency event, regional demand for electricity is close to surpassing regional supply and BGE is required to activate its PeakRewards program. This type of event is usually called to avoid potential brownouts and rolling blackouts. During an emergency event and the recovery period after the event, you cannot override your program participation. At these times, your air conditioning will be cycled up to your chosen cycling level – 50%, 75% or 100%.
The PeakRewards program is completely voluntary and is open to all BGE residential customers with central air conditioning or an electric heat pump in good working order, regardless of their choice of electricity supplier. For more information on energy choice, click here.
What are the benefits?
Choose your cycling level, choose your savings.
Choose a cycling level that best fits your lifestyle – 50%, 75% or 100%. Choose between a programmable thermostat or an outdoor air conditioner switch, professionally installed at your home at no out-of-pocket cost to you. Learn more at BGEsavings.com or call the PeakRewards customer hotline at 1-888-309-PEAK (7325).
*A customer moving into a home with an existing PeakRewards device will receive ongoing bill credits for their participation in the program. As a “move-in” customer, you are currently enrolled at the 50% cycling level, the lowest level of credits and cycling. However, “move-in” customers are not eligible to receive the first-year bonus credits since the bonus is intended for the initial enrollment and installation of a device at a customer’s home. Credits are subject to change in future years. Terms and Conditions.
Choose to save more.
Improve energy efficiency and maximize savings year-round with a thermostat that you can program to suit your daily household schedule.
Move your mouse over the red areas to the left to learn more about product features.
To learn more about the PeakRewards Programmable Thermostat, view the PeakRewards Thermostat Operation Manual.
With PeakRewards Online Access, you can adjust your heating and cooling settings, view cycling information and override non-emergency cycling events from anywhere you can access the internet.
Choose to stay connected.
BGE makes it easy to receive cycling event notification emails or texts at the start and end of every cycling event at BGEsavings.com/PeakNotifications.
Choose to be part of the solution.
By participating in PeakRewards, you are taking a smart and easy step to:
- Ease the burden on our existing electricity delivery system and reduce the need for additional power plants
- Protect our environment by lowering power plant emissions to reduce our carbon footprint
- Support the state’s EmPOWER Maryland goals
How do I sign up?
It's easy! Simply click here and fill out our online enrollment form.
Please Note: If you currently rent or lease your home, you must have permission from your landlord/property owner/manager to have the PeakRewards device installed.